Monday 5 December 2011

Paris - Jardin des Plantes

As the gardening year comes to an end for me, I long to have a break. This year proved no exception: I have been pushing myself for the best part of the year and after a particularly nasty bout of backache (thankfully finally sorted by a lovely osteopath), I was very much looking forward to a short trip to Paris.

Our first full day proved to have the best weather for the week: mild and sunny. No surprise then, that I chose the Jardin des Plantes (Metro: Gare d'Austerlitz) as a first destination.

Late November is not the best time to visit but on a gloriously sunny day, there was plenty to cheer me up.


Tree pruning was in full swing, complete with cherry picker, men with chainsaws and loppers and a fleet of flatbed trucks to collect the debris.


Rather seasonal holly bushes, trimmed earlier in the year, they now look a little straggly but are full of berries.


Formal park French style



5 star accommodation for bees



With winter weather around the corner, protection has been taken very seriously.


I was having a moment of shed envy when I saw this...


A photo taken at home but my outfit for the day: a warm cashmere stole with Ex Libris dip dye. The stole matches the green of the scarf perfectly. I think if I had a Tourbillon scarf, I would have considered that, too.




















  

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!! Great scaves!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julide and a warm welcome of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The starkness of that formal layout seems uninviting in Winter .
    I'm sure there are many fascinating things to see : we always seek out Botanic Gardens when visiting cities, but somehow in Paris we haven't got round to it .
    I think the clear winner is Villandry with those breathtaking vegetable gardens , and pergolas dripping with , not grapes , but cherry tomatoes .
    Runner up is a tiny botanical garden in Tobago , where mangoes littered the ground . Yum !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say ...your scarf is silk heaven and you look beautifully cocooned !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...