Friday 16 December 2011

Brave? Foolish? Would I do it again? Mais oui!

After weeks of wear (in rotation with many other scarves, I hasten to add), I decided to wash my cashmere poncho/stole type thing. And for good measure, add my GM dip dye as well.



Not only did I consider washing, I considered machine washing. Thinking about the size and how much water the stole would hold, made me realize that even my kitchen sink (think butler style) was too small.

If you are still reading this, rest assured the outcome was fine and I would happily do it again.

A few provisos:
  1. My washing machine has a programme for woollens AND I can adjust the temperature: I reduced the temperature from the standard 30 degrees C to 20. This is especially important when the wash cycle is finished and the rinse cycle begins as it is the difference in temperature that shrinks wool (apart from washing too hot in the first place).
  2. I used baby shampoo in the absence of a dedicated wool wash product. There were no stains to remove but the items had picked up smell and were grubby from prolonged wear.
  3. I used a colour catcher sheet which came out nearly the colour it went in with just a little greying, meaning that no pigments came out in the wash.
  4. I emptied the mashine as soon as the cycle was complete and dried both items lying flat on an airer near a radioator but not too close too it as direct heat shrinks fibres.
  5. Within two hours the silk GM was nearly dry and ready for an iron, carefully avoiding the hems. I then left it hanging from the bannister upstairs to fully dry before a final quality inspection and packing away.
  6. The 100% cashmere poncho/stole thing took overnight to dry but did not need any pressing, just a bit more airing before packing away.

This is in no way an endorsement to wash your scarves by machine (personally I am ultra careful with vintage ones) but I if you want to avoid the perils of dry cleaning (chemical smell, cost, flat hems) then you may wish to investigate further.

To clean scarves!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Bienchen, thank you for sharing your experience. I've hand-washed a number of silks, but not yet a GM. I do have a front-loading washer so might be brave enough to try it, but my bathtub method works well. It is lovely to have a freshly laundered scarf, isn't it? I'm happy your results were so pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were brave ,and I'm so happy all was well !
    You've paved the way now for the rest of us , although I need to buy a GM dipdye first....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vn Soie, the GMs are a doddle to wash and are so much better for it. I did consider my bathtub but after a bad bout of backache recently, I did not fancy the bending. I so agree about the lovely smell of a freshly laundered shawl; my Brazil is next, I wore it non stop when I travelled to Germany.

    Estrella, yes I was having kittens with regards to the dip dye but it really is as good as new and I would repeat in a heartbeat. Hope there is a GM dipdye in your future soon (if not under the tree)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...