Wednesday 31 August 2011

Frost

The last winter was particularly harsh and also remarkably early. We had our first proper frost around the 25th November and from then on we enjoyed (??) below zero centigrade degrees until well into the new year.

As a result many gardens suffered. In my own garden the damage was limited to
 some artichokes and my agapanthus. The artichokes were at the back of a border and I don't miss them much as some tall asters are now enjoying the extra space. The agapanthus however is another matter. Mine was about ten years old and you roughly get an extra flowering stem for each year, so when it was flowering it was a delight.


I have gone out and replaced it with a more hardy variety, 'Jack's Blue', I believe. This has thinner, more strappy leaves and is said to survive cold weather better. Of course there have been no flowers this year, as agapanthus flower best when a little crowded in their pots and I am hoping for survival and flowers next summer.


In one of the gardens I look after, an olive tree suffered badly; it took until early July for new shoots to appear. It never bears fruit anyway, we just don't have the climate to grow olives here, but I was pleased that it is still around albeit after a drastic prune much reduced in circumference.


The rectory suffered the most damage. Despite a town centre location, partly surrounded by walls and in the vicinity of large trees, I had hoped it would survive unscathed. I had not banked on its aspect. It is situated elevated from the large open market place, so any icy winds will sweep right through.


And so they did. Damage occured to two palm trees, a staple of English seaside towns, that also had its heyday more inland in the 70's. Two fine palms were looking very sad, their crowns heavily browned and all leaves drooping. I had little hope for them and twice I was near to bringing a saw and lopping them off. Luckily I didn't because by the end of June there were signs of life: new leaves were sprouting on one of the palms roughly half way up. The top was all mushy and had to be cut off. The second palm has resprouted from the base. Because it is so close to the house, I will not attempt to cut it down myself but wait for the tree surgeon.


A huge Escallonia initially seemd alright. It kept its leaves through the winter and by April there should have been lots of new growth. But nothing happened, on the contrary, the leaves turned reddish brown and the whole shrub just looked a mess. By June it was time for drastic action and the Escallonia has been much reduced to a framework of low branches. It has green up and a good feed has helped it along.


Last but not least a Ceanothus suffered the same fate. This case of frost damage was particularly unfortunate: the side exposed to the winds had completely dies off, the sheltered side had only suffered damage to the tips. As Ceanothus are not renowned from sprouting from old wood I only cut out the damaged branches and it was of course very lopsided. However, two months later it was showing green shoots low down on the trunk and I got brave and evened out my previous work. By new all the tiny new shoots are nearly a foot long and it seems that the Ceanothus will be fine and flowering next year. It is, like the other victims, much reduced in size but I am so delighted that it is still with us. Losing an established and well-loved shrub always makes me sad.


I apologise for the lack of pictures. I thought I had taken plenty but that's not the case.


I hope your gardens have not suffered too much and maybe you had some fabulous recoveries that cheered you up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...