Wednesday 3 August 2011

After the rain

After a (for Central England) long dry spell, we finally had some rain last night. It was much needed, as fields and gardens alike are coping with a very dry year.

When gathering my tools to head out this morning, I walked past this little beauty. The raindrops nestling on the leaves caught my eye. Consider it as a friendly gesture after yesterday's pictured.


Euphorbia amygdaloides 'Purpurea' (spurge)
 One problem with spurges is that they can really spread themselves around and quickly take over a border. Euphorbia amygdaloides 'Purpurea' is much better behaved and I find the odd seedling but there is none of that "constantly pulling out bits of plant" business.

The foliage is bluegreen tinged with a deep red. It is evergreen and thrives in dappled shade. In Spring it has gorgeous limegreen flowerheads that seem to be suspended above the leafy canopy. Once faded I simply cut off the flowered stems. That's it until next year.

I did not get a chance to inspect the rest of my garden but had a quick peek in the coldframe. The peas sown about 10 days ago have all germinated. Yes, satisfied grin on face, 100% germination rate.

In case you do not get what the fuss is about, let me explain. I trialled a short variety called 'Douce Provence'. This is sown in Spring for Summer harvesting. I needed two attempts to get about five pea plants. I binned the seeds. And started again, this time using 'Kelvedon Wonder'. They did better. By July it is too late in the season and peas for an Autumn harvest have to be sown. 'Ambassador' is the variety I chose.

Pea 'Ambassador' ten days after sowing


This is what I did this time:
  • root trainers
  • slug pellets
  • cover
  • placed in open cold frame

I think the only difference (apart from the different variety) was that the cover was popped on the root trainers. But really this should make no difference at all because you can sow peas straight in the ground and this is how most people would sow them. I would love to hear your theory. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a great fan of euphorbia , I just wish it spread and self seeded here as much as yours.
    the Euphorbia Wulfenii is favourite, and in friends' gardens it seems to self seed like mad, not so here:after 3 yrs the plants look scrawny and the flowerheads are tiny , so they've had to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estrella, I wonder whether you grew it in full sun as this variety is happiest there. The seedlings rarely come true from seed, so it is best to promote new shoots by removing flowerheads when they have finished flowering.

    Hope whatever you have replaced the euphorbia with is more of a success.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...