Sunday 26 February 2012

Winter scent

The small town garden houses a number of little gems, no, not lettuces, I should add but plants that surprise.

Flowering through the dark and cold months is the unsung hero Mahonia japonica. I chose this shrub for the shady bed as it is evergreen, has attractive foliage and gorgeous yellow flowers at a time when a bit of cheer is always appreciated.

    .

When researching this shrub I found out the the berries are edible and are supposed to make good jam but I have no personal experience. 

But of course the flowers draw me in anytime and when working close by I could not fail to be charmed by its sweet scent. So much so that I cut a branch for my client. I'm not sure how good a cut flower it will make, I suspect it may be very shortlived otherwise florists would surely make a beeline for it in their arrangements.

   
But for sheer and delicate beauty in the middle of winter I think this is hard to beat. If you grow Mahonias I would be delighted to hear of your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...