Monday 20 February 2012

Surviving the frost?

Whilst it was great fun to spend a few days in London last weekend, it was with a fair bit of trepidation that I returned home.   


The cause of my anxiety were several trays of sweet peas which are nestling in the coldframe. Before I left (in already cold weather) I wasn't looking forward to night time temperatures of -7 degrees C. I shut the lid and piled on an old woollen blanket whose only purpose in life is to serve as an insulating layer in very cold weather. 

Snugly wrapped but deprived of light the tiny shoots were left to fend for themselves. Which they did to my utter relief.





By now, a week later, they have started to form their first proper pair of leaves and it will soon be time to pinch out the tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...