Thursday 16 February 2012

Grasses

This week took me to the small town garden, specifically the front garden.

This time of year is when this tiny plot looks it worst:




The 'culprits' responsible for the neglected/unkempt/wild look are the various grasses, gaura lindheimerii and and of course verbena bonariensis.

My client has a good memory and is happy to bide her time until April/May when things will be looking up.

I think I only tend to this plot three tiimes a year or so but the February stint is the most rewarding. Firstly, it is vital to cut back the grasses. From a distance they don't look too bad, especially the taller varieties.




The feathery seedheads held on slender stalks sway in the slightest breeze and in the windy location of the small town garden, they seem to be moving permanently.


No more swaying for a while now as the grasses are being cut to about and inch or two from the ground. I then run my hand over the clumps and give them a fond "ruffle". This will dislodge any old stalks which can then be gathered to tidy the plot. This is it for the year, you cannot get more low maintenance than grasses.

The verbena bonariensis although technically a biennual often lasts more than two years. I should cut it back a bit later but as by then the tulip foliage is making its presence known, I am taking the easier option and cut it back to an inch or two now.

Gaura lindheimerii 'Whirling Butterflies' has thoughtfully been planted near the edges of the plot and gets cut back later in the year. It is not reliably hardy and generally not very long lived. My client is happy for me to replace them as and when needed as they are cheap and a favourite of hers.

After an hour the front looks very different:


The straggly plant on the left is a big clump of gaura and you can spot the neat round clumps of grass. Best of all, the tulip foliage can now be appreciated and my client can follow the tulips' progress much more easily.

For the record, the tulips are from the original planting; so far they have performed spectacularly and I can't wait to see what April/May will bring. Most bulbs have formed bulblets by now (new baby bulbs) and I think that this year we will have more tulips than in previous years but that they will be shorter of stem.

If my prediction materialises, my client will have tulips to cut for the house and I will lift and replace with fresh stock in autumn.

For now the fresh waxy green delivers a glimpse of Spring

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...