Thursday 17 May 2012

Twister or Think Pink

... or where is Johnny Depp when you really really need him?




I was very excited when a parcel turned up early in the week. 




Yes, my quest for a gardener's hat for the summer is complete and I have found my perfect, lightweight strawhat, complete with chinstrap. I hope I am not tempting the weather gods because when I went to buy a summer dress during the warm spell in March it promptly turned cold again.



 

I have been wearing this for the last few days and it was such a joy, especially when planting up tomato plants in the green house.

The topiary shears were needed for another garden which I look after sporadically. The owners look after the basics themselves and I go for half a day or the occasional day when the shrubs need pruning.

No sunhat needed today though...


The sky did not look very promising when I arrived the prune the spring flowering shrubs. It felt rather chilly and windy which I felt when the pink topiary shears came out. Whilst I am quite nifty with them (I can also use them with my left hand, a bonus to avoid RSI), I could have definitively done with some help from Johnny Depp.




Surely Edward Scissorhands would have made short work of this twister. Being short of leg and with just a decorator platform to work on i could not quite reach the top. Still, it gives you an idea how overgrown this conifer was and that a bit of patience and an eye for form can get it back.


It may be a case of bringing a ladder next time but then again my client realise that these conifers are best when they are not too tall (another windy location), so the tree surgeons may end up topping them.


Apologies for the wonky (not Wonka) picture; the tree (and house) are straight, the photographer was hungry and tired.


Tomorrow: a day of rest and not a pair of secateurs in sight!
 

2 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job! Edward would have been proud of you. I bet in real life Johnny couldn't do it. You definitely have gardening mojo! I appreciate topiaries but don't think I'd ever own one for myself, too much primping. I'd rather play my guitar lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and all I say is that it would have been great fun having Johnny there, with or without some shears. I am totally with you re topiary, it does look best in a formal garden. But hey, if it tickles someone's fancy or it is already in situ, it is worth maintaining (if only to hone my skills/save you from another tulip post).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...