Monday 28 May 2012

Papaver Palaver

Early summer is here and oriental poppies are thriving. For a cool colour scheme, "Patty's Plum" is a fabulous choice. The flowers are huge and very showy and once established there will be a dozen or more flowers on each plant, opening one after the other.



There are a few drawbacks to oriental poppies (papaver orientalis): their height of around 90cm means they need staking (I use grow through rings or even better, pea sticks). They also need cutting back after flowering which leaves a bit of a gap in the border until they foliage grows back.

My attempt at propagating from root cutting was a partial success: the cuttings came up but I lost them during the last winter, not to the frost but they dried out in their pan. I need to try again...

4 comments:

  1. Patty's Plum reminds me of crinkled tissue paper....beautiful! Oh how I wished I could wear this color:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do look a bit crinkly or maybe ruffled is a more flattering term.

      Delete
  2. The poppies are beautiful. I regret that I haven't thought of using them more often. I had them in a previous location where I taught Horticulture and always admired them when they bloomed. Your blog has inspired me to find a place in my new gardens for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, hope you find the perfect spot for oriental poppies and thank you for your very kind words.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...