Thursday 24 May 2012

Transition

The front (like the back) of Mrs U-turn's plot features amongst much else a small circular bed.




I have blogged about this before here but I am "chuffed to bits" as they say here how this bed rises like Phoenix from the ashes in spring/early summer.

This is a view of the bed in February:


It is a pretty sorry sight, slightly improved by the grasses which stand proud and tall.


By May, the picture is much changed. From grey/beige/withered, there is now fresh green in varying shades. 


There is a band of Giant Scabious weaving its way through the circle. It is currently about as high as the neighbouring achillea but give it a bit more time and it will tower above it.



I am particularly fond the the silvery feathered foliage of the achillea with matching "silver balls", numerous flower buds which will open in a month or so.




By contrast, the asters sport a much brighter green and I had to have a good look for them as they were a bit overpowered by the achilleas. The most important thing is that they have made it through the harsh winter (all plants chosen are fully hardy) and if need be, the achilleas will be kept in check by a little judicious pruning.

Otherwise, I can tell it has been a miserable old April here. This clematis 'Guernsey Cream' is much greener than it would be had the light levels been better:


One May tradition is alive and well, there are plenty of herbaceous peonies in a bed and I used to cut these for my client and for myself (and any visitor that cared for them). 

This time of course I cut a few stems just for me. They really brighten up my evening.


Hope your peonies are doing well, too. If you happen to grow intersectional (also called Itoh) peonies, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. The peonies would brighten my day too! You really know how to capture the flowers at their best moment. I have been on vacation and trying to catch up on the older posts. Love the new red scarf and the peonies in full bloom. Thank you!

    I finally visited my first H store. The SA's were so busy so I was heading to the door when one approached me. I left with an enamel bracelet that I have been waiting for. That was a good day:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your enamel bracelet, so glad you had a good day. H enamels are wonderful; they always make me feel very special when I slip one on

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...