Saturday 5 May 2012

Orange Princess

   
Shame about the rainy weather when I took this photograph as it really does not do its object justice.

This gem of a tulip is 'Orange Princess', a sport from the fabulous 'Princess Irene'. It is a frilly, double tulip which flowers in April/May and has a gorgeous warm nasturtium-orange colouring with garnet markings.

I bought the bulbs as a bit of a gapfiller for one of the school's flowerbeds and not only are the tulips holding up well in the current conditions (wet and blustery), I am also delighted with its foliage.





For some reason the fence surrounding the flowerbed has recently been painted a greenish blue which somewhat clashes with most of the plants in the bed. It must have been on special offer at the builder's merchant. 

Luckily 'Orange Princess's foliage is about as close as match as I can get imagine, so I am very happy. I'd think this may also look good next to Sedum spectabile 'Iceberg' and Artemisia 'Powis Castle', one for the notebook.

Hope your tulips are doing well!
  

2 comments:

  1. The orange princess tulip would be a welcome addition to anyones garden:-) Tulips and hydrangeas are my favorites. Tulips do not do well in south Florida but the hydrangeas are beautiful here. Great shots!! XO J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought that FL must be a great place to live but no tulips, that won't do. Yay to hydrangeas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...