Wednesday 9 May 2012

Kelmarsh Hall in Early May

Drawn by the Hardy Plant Fair (and the chickens which live in the kitchen garden), I returned to Kelmarsh Hall last weekend, little gardener in tow.

 

The yew hedges "on stilts" are as fabulous as ever.


Plenty of tulips in pots





 An old favourite for spring, Dicentra spectabilis (Bleeding Heart):




 Erythronium (dog's tooth violet) in the white form:

 
Chooks and cockerel, the main attraction for the little gardener, apart from the tearoom. And look at all those yummu dandelions....


The little gardener could not resist to pick some "pretty flowers" for me.

 
The estate also boasts a fine old greenhouse which has been restored. Outside there is a large plot of lily of the valley, just starting to come into flower.


The kitchen garden is walled and more fruit trees have been planted along the sheltered walls. Some of the old specimens have been renovated and trained along wire supports.

 
I lost my artichokes in the hard frost last year and I was so happy to see that in the shelter of the walls, Kelmarsh's have survived and look very fine indeed.


You can find more information on Kelmarsh Hall here

4 comments:

  1. These gardens are beautiful! Bleeding Hearts, OMG, how cool are they? I always appreciate a garden regardless if they are formal or informal. Although for me personally, it's informal with just a bit of pruning and cultivating to show that I'm still in control but not dominating the environment. Here where I am, we have Longwood Gardens, which is world renowned and incredibly beautiful every season of the year. One of my young students hopes to become an intern there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dicentras are truly wonderful and used to be featured in many cottage gardens. I like to use them in gardens that don't get too dry and sunny. I have to google Longwood Gardens as I have not heard of it before. A large private or public garden is the best place for practical training; I got myself a placement for three months in two large gardens after I qualified to get more practical experience in areas college could not provide. Good luck to your student!

      Delete
  2. How I would love to be sitting in the garden absorbing the beauty of the yew hedges. These images are beautiful! And your new cashmere sweater and scarf...wow...they are made for each other:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanne, just behind the bench are two metal rocking chairs, positioned so you sit in the shade whilst admiring the borders. They obviously have your comfort in mind. And thanks for the sweater and scarf love.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...