Wednesday 14 March 2012

Hose Pipe Ban

It was only a matter of time until a hose pipe ban was becoming a distinct possibility. Yesterday it was announced that for much of the South East of the country a hosepipe ban would come into force by 5 April.


We have had the driest Spring I can remember followed by a dry Summer last year, autumn and winter were equally dry here and it comes as no surprise that water levels in reservoirs are very low for this time of year.

I am concerned for the rectory garden and I was approached by the vicar's wife about the effects of the ban. 

One of the drawbacks is the absence of water butts. The diocese will not pay for them and it is unreasonable to expect the vicar to pay for them (although he does spend a fair amount on the garden).

My drought-busting plan for this year consist of:
  • ornamental borders will get cut back and weed late March/April. Plants that benefit from a good mulch, will get a good layer of home-made compost and any bare soil will get an extra thick layer of Strulch.
  • much of the veg plot has been given over to onions and garlic which will only need watering for about 4 to 6 weeks in late Spring/early Summer 
  • the strawberry plot was relocated in autumn and is now in a spot that receives a bit less sunshine thus reducing the need for water. I will again mulch with straw once the plants are a bit bigger
  • the lawn never gets watered
  • Watering by can will still be done for the herb pots and the greenhouse. I am currently growing salads and radishes in the greenhouse, with basil and parsley to follow shortly. I will continue to use the watering spikes and bottles for watering large plants in the greenhouse, namely tomatoes, peppers, courgettes and aubergines.
 If you have drought-busting ideas to share, please let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, sending my condolences on your water situation! While we are finally getting rain here, I'm afraid we have no chance of catching up this spring. We've also had an extremely dry season. but I've yet to have to face remedial efforts. At the least, I'm afraid, this spring will not be the time to replace our lawn with new sod! Sending best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Niniknows, all the more reason to cherish the spring bulbs. Lawn work can also be done in autumn, so there is hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping for lots of rain, for both of us, in the coming months. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...