Monday 19 March 2012

The budget garden in March

There has been a lot of change in the budget garden of late. Now that the tree surgeons have completed the work on the apple tree (a magnificent and prolific Bramley), I have time to finish work on the borders.

A few happy snapshots taken during my teabreak. Yes, this may be a budget garden but if I time my visit right, then Mr Budget Garden will be present and will offer tea and biscuits.... :)


These dainty little beautites are tulipa turkestanica. Not only are the one of the earliest to flower, they are also rather versatile. I use them in borders, in gravel gardens and in rockeries. As long as they get plenty of sunshine and drainage is adequate, they will be happy.


Unlike other tulips, slugs tend to not bother with the foliage. And (unlike most tulips) you get more than one flower per stem. In the picture above you can make out another three little nodding buds.

Next up hyacinths which are dotted throughout the sunny border. I have no further information to offer as they came with the garden when I took it on.


Pure white and deliciously scented, they look very elegant and draw attention away from the buddleia behind it which has just been cut back hard. For me these are too strongly scented to have in the house but I thoroughly enjoy them in the garden.


This is the new growth on the lilac shrubs/trees. They have gradually been pruned over the last two years and will now no longer cast shade over large swathes of grass; they will also produce flowers much lower down, so the scent can be enjoyed when walking past or picnicking nearby. This is the purple form and if you look closely you can just make out a reddish tinge to the tips.




This one is a white form. Lilacs have their leaves arranged in pairs along the stem, called an opposite leaf pattern. The bud at the top is a single bud and is a flower bud. It looks quite different and you can see the tiny green corollas forming which will later change colour. 

I can't wait for the lilac to flower as it is one of my favourite shrubs. My clients are happy for me to cut some for myself, I can take some of the pleasure home with me. Bliss!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...