Sunday 18 September 2011

Tomatoes

For the last couple of weeks I have finally been able to harvest tomatoes at home. Not having a greenhouse is a real drawback for me: not only do I face a long wait until the first tomatoes form, I can also only grow those varieties suitable for outdoor cultivation.




Nonetheless there is a huge range of varieties to choose from and this year I chose 'Ferline' and 'San Marzano'.

My main criteria is flavour, followed by good cropping. Both varieties delivered flavour but 'San Marzano' has rewarded me with a huge crop.



'San Marzano' is a plum tomato and although we eat it mainly as a starter, side dish or in salads it is supposed to be good for cooking as well. Think tinned tomatoes, most use plum tomatoes.

I am also growing basil which is of course a classic with tomatoes, this year 'Sweet Genovese'.

I pick my tomeatoes when they are turning red and let them ripen on a kitchen window sill. This works very well and in no way impairs flavour.


In just four or five days the fruits go from pale orange to a deep and satisfying red. No need to refrigerate them and they taste so much better at room temperature.



Generous slices of mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil is all I need for a starter or quick snack. Even the little gardener who is not a great salad friend loves this.

2 comments:

  1. This speaks to me very personally , I'm a complete tomato addict and share your enthusiasm for growing the more unusual varieties .
    I didn't realise they will ripen off the vine : late September now and our huge plants are still producing but not ripening .This will lead to a jam making session ...green tomato jam to be exact , quite delicious.
    This year we've grown Pineapple tomatoes again , and I strongly recommend this old French variety . Last year the two of us would eat one enormous tomato beyween us for lunch , this year the crop has been less but still very worthwhile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to another tomato lover! I need to look up your pineapple tomato.

    Re ripening off the vine: as long as they start to turn colour, they can be picked for ripening indoors. Also, if you still have any flowers on them, pinch them out so that the plant's energy goes into swelling and ripening of fruit that has already formed.

    I have heard a lot about green tomato chutney but never made any; as I apply the "pinch and remove when starting to ripen" rule I am not left with much green fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...