Monday 5 September 2011

Divide and conquer - autumn division

Autumn is a great time to divide many perennials and I really needed to get a move on as my wholesale nursery has just advised me that my order will be delivered this Thursday!




The front of the school has been planted up about three years ago, so is due now for a little renovation work in the form of plant division. On my list were three plants: daylilies, salvias and some black lilyturf.

The lilyturf (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens') was easiest to tackle. It is traditionally divided in Spring but since I was after creating space, I felt it was ok to go ahead now; if any plantlets root, then that's a bonus. It has a low root run and naturally produces new plantlets that are attached to the motherplant by a then bit of root. Lilyturf does not really need dividing but its allocated space had become crowded and so a few plants have been removed to make space.

The daylilies (Hemerocallis 'Stafford') was more challenging; the clay soil has been baked this summer and is in desparate need of some organic matter. This meant that digging up the clumps of daylily was quite an effort. I dig up the complete clump and then split each clump into about seven to ten chunks. As long is there is a good bit of the fleshy roots is present, they should soon grow more roots and shoots. A few chunks got planted back in the border but the rest has been potted up.

Last but not least I took out altogether Salvia nemorosa 'Amethyst'. Whilst it is absolutely stunning, it self seeds profusely and it is cumbersome to eradicate the seedlings from the paving joints. It was a problem I was keen to conquer. In keeping with the colour scheme, I will replace them with lavenders which have similar demands re soil and aspect and should behave better. I think these salvias are probably best propagated by cuttings but since I already had compost and pots lined up, I cut them back and split them up as well. Not sure whether they will be happy with their treatment....

Apologies for the lack of pictures today, I left my camera behind and by the time I got to blog it was already dusk. Autumn is on its way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...