Monday 19 September 2011

I blame it on Dimitri

Not a gardening post this time but a foodie one....

A few days ago my husband and I finally had an opportunity to have a belated birthday dinner out. I had jokingly suggested that I might get my lobster this time after various failed attempts in the past (including on our honeymoon).

My husband duly arranged for our dinner date in a fish restaurant and specifically enquired about the lobster platter. The effort on his part surely should be reciprocated with some sartorial effort on my part and I settled for a scarf top. With autumn just around the corner this might well have been my last opportunity for this year. My scarf of choice was Onde de Chic, here's the full design albeit in a different colouration.
photo credit: Ann's fabulous finds

I'm not sure whether you can make out the horse in the picture but you probably won't be able to spot it when worn:


Top marks for the arrangements. On arrival we were greeted and seated. And after an appropriate wait the hot and cold seafood platter, a tiered affair, arrived. It was truly astounding. The warm dish featured delights such as scallops, crayfish, langoustines and a huge helping of mussels.

The cold tier served on a bed of ice featured half a dozen oysters, a whole crab, half a lobster and shell on prawns. It was truly delightful and would have been even better if my husband had not announced right at this moment that he was feeling nauseous.

Sure enough, he would not touch his food and there was nothing left for me but to rush the warm selection and urging him to settle so that we could return home. The restaurant staff were absolutely charming and as the restaurant also runs a deli, they packed up the remainder of my dinner for me to enjoy at home. Even a lobster pick was loaned to me.

I just could not figure out what brought on the sudden burst of nausea and the only thing I could fathom was the swirly design of the scarf, yes, it must have been Dimitri Rybaltchenko's fault.

I duly shared the absolutely delicious lobster with the handsome d*vil that night; he is sure getting used to the finer things in life at an early stage. The crab and prawns were served with (homegrown) spuds and salad the next evening. As luck would have it, I found a bottle of Pouilly-Fumé in the wine storage which I had bought during our last trip to France. It made an exceedingly good addition to the meal.



My husband has made a full recovery since.

2 comments:

  1. My sympathies are with you , you looked simply fabulous and if your DH was feeling vertiginous it must have been that he was overwhelmed by his luck in having such a partner !

    My DH is a martyr to hayfever ...when I say martyr I mean just that ...I no longer try to jolly him out of it but take the safer option of staying at home for the duration of his alllergy to grass seeds .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estrella, I feel for you. Now if everybody cut their grass regularly, your DH would not suffer.... My DH eventually came down with an ear infection which perfectly explained his symptoms. Hope you get to enjoy some lovely nature time soon. X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...