Thursday 15 September 2011

Mellowing

Today I paid the small town garden a flying visit. I have blogged about this little gem before here.

It is still stunning now, I hope you agree.



My mission for today was to finally replace some Gaura lindheimerii 'Whirling Butterflies'. This adorable plant has a reputation for a short life and over the winter This garden lost all but one of them. As I could not source any gauras in the Spring (they are also a little tender and many a nursery had lost their stock) I temporarily filled the gap with Marguerite 'Paris White' (grown from seed this Spring). Today the Marguerites were ripped out and new gauras went in. The front needed only a quick weed, a good soaking and a topdressing of cocoa shell mulch, an expensive but necessary choice; it seems to be one of the few products that keeps the cats away. Do NOT use if you have dogs, it contains theobromine which is harmful and potentially dangerous to dogs.


The verbena, grasses and gaura look stunning, swaying gently in the breeze. The grasses are now sporting their plumes, adding more height. I can always tell whether the summer has been a wet one (or whether my client has watered copiously) by the height of the grasses.

Verbena does selfseed and a few seedlings have migrated across the front path and lawn to the edge by the fence. I have left them grow because the green of the fence is such a fabulous backdrop to the flowers. The stems seem almost invisible. Sometimes Mother Nature is the best designer.



Hope your autumn garden is filled with colour, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...