Saturday 10 September 2011

At home

Early autumn brings some unadulterated joy to me in my own garden, too. Apart from harvesting (carrots and tomatoes are particularly plentiful this year), there are several ornamentals which always draw me close.



First up is an update on the gingerlily. You might recall my joy when I discovered a ðflowerspike forming. My joy has doubled, yes, there are now two.

Progress is woefully slow;if you compare the picture from the above post a few weeks ago with this one, you can see that the gradual unfolding is happening:



Secondly, I am hopeful that my Angelica archangelica seeds may have germinated after all. I spotted some seed leaves today which look unlike the weed seedlings I am familiar with, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.


The backgarden is divided into two parts by a gothic arch which by now is smothered with clematis tangutica 'Bill McKenzie'. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this variety as it can be a thug; it will try to spread (but is by no means invasive) and it is generally a rampant climber.



I often tie it into the arch but obviously not often enough as it has spread into the lilac on the right.


I would not be without it and whenever I walk under the arch, I stop and admire the tiny gracefully nodding flowers. With its pale yellow petals, dark brown stamens and dark slender stems, this clematis is here to stay. At least until early Spring when it gets cut right down and a secret is revealed but I should really save that for later.



Last but by no means least I am currently in love again with a shrub. Nearly limegreen leaves and blue-verging-on-purple flowers may not sound glamorous nor does its name Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Worcestershire Gold'. I hope these pictures will express it much better than I can. From a distance you get the impression of a blue haze:



Once you get closer, you can make out lots of detail, such as these unusual flowers, the deep blue colour and often the masses of bees that are attracted to this shrub.


If you look for easy to care for autumn flowers in a striking colour, this shrub may be your best bet. No staking, no regular feeding, no pests and diseases, just a simple prune in Spring, can it get much better than this?

1 comment:

  1. ooooh thank you so much for posting the last shrub, i have one and have struggled up till now to name it. i love it as it changes all year round, its so pretty :) for some reason we have mint or lemon balm growing underneath ours as well!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...