Monday 10 October 2011

Lilac

Just when my white climbing rose 'Mme Alfred Carriere' has finished for the year to entice me with her scent, out pops a little fragrant surprise.




It is a lilac tree, more traditionally associated with late Spring but Syringa pubescens subsp. microphylla 'Superba' flowers twice in my garden, first in early Summer and then again in autumn.

I promptly forget about it once Summer is over and then one day in autumn it catches me again. It is not near as pretty is common lilac and the racemes are much smaller. The scent however is just as good and if your garden has space for a small tree but would not accommodate Syringa vulgaris then this may be a good choice for you.

It has been a week of surreal weather here; last Sunday we held an impromptu BBQ, tempted by temperatures of nearly 30oC and an absence of wasps, by Friday it was down to 15oC, rain and I was lighting the woodburner. This afternoon I had my first opportunity to see how the latest salad sowings are doing.


This is 'Merveille des Quatre Saisons' and I hope it will live up to its name. It is happiest when not in full sun so the lower raised bed seems to be just the right spot for it. Undamaged and stunning in a tinge of red, I am looking forward to it filling out.

Early September I divided some salvias but was not sure they would take. Well they have settled in and there are new shoots to prove they are doing their best. Don't be fooled by the amount of dead wood, it will be cut back in Spring and these salvias will be as good as any nursery-raised stock.

  

Alas, the angelica I sowed quite a while ago now is not a huge success. I count five seedlings and one of them is still at the seed leaf stage. I knew they are tricky to raise from packaged seed, so maybe I should count my blessings but still ....five .... sigh. 



 Is it really worth the trouble?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...