Wednesday 5 October 2011

Footwear

A few months ago my trusty Le Chameau wellies finally gave up. I must have had them for close to ten years and only about a year ago or so, the rubber had started to crack which I could repair myself with an appropriate product.

Earlier this year though the Vibram sole, chosen for heavy duty walking and digging, cracked and that was the end of the boots.

Since I became self employed my work footwear has consisted of the Le Chameau wellies for wet weather and some lace up safety boots for anything that could damage my feet or where I needed extra support, think operating machinery, lugging stuff or climbing ladders.

My main beef with the lace ups was that they did take long to dry out when wet and when researching wellies, the picture was dire: the quality of most makes is now incredibly poor, and if you can trust farmers reviews, even Hunters are no longer what they used to be.

So what is a girl to do?

Buy a fashion forward pair of wellies that will last me a few weeks?
Spend a fortune on Hunters and risk disappointment?
Buy those £££ Ilse Jacobsen boots and look like Sarah Raven?


Neither: I have gone and got myself a pair of rigger boots. Please do not laugh and easy on the wolf whistles because I totally adore them.




I had to trawl the internet for a company that would stock a pair small enough for me (I ordered a size up to a five to allow for thick socks) and I also did not want that yellow colour associated with building sites. I finally struck lucky with a dark tan pair.

This fabulous hard working boots come with fleecy lining and on all but the hottest days they have been comfortable to wear. They also have toe caps, rated to the appropriate standard which makes them tax-deductible safety footwear for me. They are slip on and I can tuck my trousers in if needed.

I have extra waterproofed them, too, should I get caught in a sudden downpour.

For absolutely wet weather when really I am not gardening but probably taking the little gardener puddle jumping, I have found some Stylo riding boots with sure grip soles. I have worn them for garden work too but need to remember to pack a bootjack, they are tricky to pull off. However they are stylish, perfect in rain and a doddle to clean: just hose them down!

PS: sometimes, but really just sometimes, I sneak out in my cherry print Mary Janes. But only for deadheading or herb picking. A find from the John Lewis children's department.



Are you fashionably or practically shod?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...