Thursday 13 October 2011

The Rectory in October

I was chatting with the owners a few weeks ago about what they want me to grow in the two small kitchen gardens and the answer was "lots of onions and garlic".

This made me laugh out loud. It is easy to do and I had already ordered two sorts of garlic and three types of onion sets for them. But also because I found it funny in a subversive way.



With all the garlic growing and a good number of crucifixes in the house, there sure won't be any vampires roaming the estate at night. And then my eye wandered to the elder trees that are growing too close to one of the yew trees and I chuckled even more: belts and braces come to mind. If you are not familiar with folklore in my parts of the world, elder trees were planted to ward off evil spirits. To remove them is said to bring bad luck and this is what I have in mind for the winter. Nuff said.

Back to the garlic: they say that garlic needs a long growing period and preferably some cold weather to do well. We have not had any cold weather yet but the bulbs that I pleanted exactly a fortnight ago, have already grown a good root system.


I should say that this photo was taken in the interest of research but I am fibbing of course, I dug up the bulbs by mistake; I was glad of it though because all the action is happening underground for a while and it is reassuring to know there is action.

Some of the garlic is very precocious indeed and is sprouting already, yikes!




I posted  a while ago about the experiment with lavender and the hedge trimmer. Well, I am pleased to say that the lavender is looking good for the time of year.



August 2011


mid October 2011
The aim was to have plenty of access on both paths either side of the lavender triangle and I am happy with the outcome.

The path to the left will be redone shortly, really as soon as I can find the time. I want to lift all the gravel,  weed and lay a membrane and top the gravel to two inches. It should look like the path on the right which was done last summer and needs zero attention.

One of my favourite vistas currently is the "conservative" border, named after the colour scheme as expressed through political parties, don't ask.


This side of the garden has a gorgeous old stone wall, clad in ivy, a fabulous old oak door which is the side gate of the rectory and connects it to the church. The yew tree close to the door needs the tree surgeon's attention. It is too tall and I would like to shape it, probably square and squat. But best of all are the tall Aster laevis 'Calliope'; from a distance they form a mauve/blue haze and close up I can admire the perfectly formed flowerheads with golden centres.


These asters cope well with the light shade of this border. They are best staked and I have used low half moon shaped stakes to ensure they are not growing horizontally. Any more staking and the would be very erect but I quite like the slightly unruly behaviour of this border, a great juxtaposition to its name.

The asters also suffer from a bit of mildew of it is very dry as it has been this year. It is confined to the lower leaves though and I can still cut flowers for the house. Regular watering helps to avoid the mildew but in a garden this size this does get forgotten at times.

If the weather continues to be kind next week, I shall tidy out this hot mess, strawberryb plants that need replacing after three years of sterling service and the remains of the gorgeous sweet peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...