Friday 7 October 2011

In the bag

Another non-gardening post but very much close to my heart.





One of the many arrivals in my house has been a 70s boxcalf Kelly bag. I have been truly excited about my find which came to me all the way from Germany.

I am happy to say that the condition of this treasure is good indeed. It did need some restoration work but happily this was of a cosmetic nature only. There are some scratches on the bottom of the bag but I can live with them. As for wrinkles, this beauty has a less than me, well she is that bit younger. In the meantime, I have been spending a few hours polishing and then some more and it has become an evening pastime for me. The straps have been undone and are tucked away loosely inside the bag until my work is complete.

The Kelly is navy in colour although under artificial light it looks almost black. A previous owner had applied black polish but it is not difficult to take off the layers of dirt and old polish. I am now in the middle of weather proofing this Kelly as I want to be able to use it every day, come rain or shine.

It has had quite a few outings already as the weather has been kind with no chance of rain and because this an old girl, she can handle anything from a smart lunch at a restaurant to collecting garlic bulbs sent by post.

I am hoping to have the work completed by the weekend and will take a few more pictures, hopefully in daytime.

Back to a gardening post next time, possibly lilac.

6 comments:

  1. Clapping! It's a magnificent bag, Bienchen, and she will bring so many years of joy to you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fabulous treasure! What an amazing find!
    Congrats to you, dear Bienchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! Enjoy her very, very much. I would love to hear some time how you came across her. I would love to find a pre-loved H bag sometime but am completely at a loss how to and where. Since Germany is meine Heimat I would love some advice some time, Bienchen - if you are at all comfortable.
    Maedi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone, this Kelly is bringing me lots of joy indeed.

    Maedi, will pm you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm clapping too ! This is a real beauty and will be a fantastic investment . Hope to see more of you together

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats dear Bienchen! Love the indigo and a 32 retourne is the bag I would choose for myself as well! Can't wait to see her buffed and polished and you toting her along on your gardening expeditions! Enjoy and you have superb taste as always! xoxL.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...