Thursday 20 October 2011

Cloches - second attempt

The recent cold spell has led to some air frost at night and I have been lucky that my salad has not been killed off yet.

High time to think of protecting it.



After my failed attempt with a commercial variety, see here,



I decided to make my own. One drawback of the first version was that they would be difficult to store when not in use. Similar versions would also be costly to purchase. 


Horticultural fleece may be the answer. I already had a selection of hoops to hand and fleece is quite cheap to buy, I think my 8m roll, 1.5m wide, was about £6.


I sewed some simple channels, using a tricot stitch and a channel at either end of the fleece, too. Through the end channels I threaded a bit of flexi-tie as this can be tightened and pegged into the ground.






The hoops were fed through the other channels.




I am trialling a long version at the rectory; will it be efficient enough to protect from frost? Will it withstand the wind? Will the cats leave it alone?

2 comments:

  1. I'm truly impressed by your practicality and resourcefulness . the mere sight of a sewing machine has me fainting in coils .Unpleasant memories of school !

    Your fleece cloches look very cosy, I'm sure your plants will benefit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estrella, don't be held back by bad memories. I grew up with my mother doing lots of sewing for all the family, so I guess I always had a sewing machine though nothing as expensive as hers. Yes, you can date me by that, a generation before you bought everyting off the peg.

    The cloches are yet to prove themselves as we have been having glorious autumn weather with mild nights and warmish days.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...