Thursday 2 August 2012

High summer colour at home

All the rain has meant lots of growth in the garden. The dahlias are looking great now and benefit from the sturdy stakes.

Dahlia 'Olympic Fire'
I have grown 'Olympic Fire' for the second year now and it is performing well. I like the contrast of the dark stems with the bright warm orange petals. I would really like to pair this with an orange variety of Helenium some time for a big orange display.

Dahlia 'Park Princess'
I have been growing 'Park Princess' for over ten years, the old tubers are still going strong. For the last few years I have used this variety at the front of the rectory but I will reconsider next year as earwigs have demolished most of the flowerheads.

I grow this at the rectory with Delphinium 'Black Knight', the darkest shade of blue and in a good year this is a very striking cool combination. This year it was a damp squib: earwigs on the dahlias and slugs on the delphiniums were a huge problem. I have cut back the delphiniums (after saving some seeds) and with a bit of luck there will be a second flush of flowers, someof the new stems are already a foot tall ind have been tied in.

Dahlia Bishop series?
This is either a member of the Bishop series or possibly Sam Hopkins. Again, lovely dark stems and a bright warm red for petals.


Dahlia 'Arabian Night'
 An old favourite of mins because it will work with a cool or hot theme alike. It is a deep dark red, very velvety and sumptious looking. This picture was taken with a flash, so does not reflect the colour accurately.


Apart from lots of colour in the dahlia section, I am very happy with the small hot border. 




Achillea 'Coronation Gold' and Corcosmia 'Mistral' are just lovely together.

Hope you are enjoying lots of colour, too.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you love orange and aren't afraid of using it in the garden .Olympic Fire is a real firecracker!
    I love drama in the garden :fiery reds and oranges offset by purples and dark red flowers or foliage .
    Favourites include Bishop of Landaff and Arabian Night Dahlias , Blackbird Penstemmon , Crocosmias and Bergamots , and Purple Thalictrum .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear Estrella and what's not to love about orange??? We share many favourites and I love the scent of bergamots but find that I am not very good at growing them. Maybe I need to revisit?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...