Monday 13 August 2012

Small fry

Some of my clients, used to a season of rain, have become complacent about watering and the crops are not near as bountiful as a result. Others have a tiny veg plot but are keen to grow lots of different things and hardly ever get a huge crop of any one kind.

You can tell I grew up living frugally as I am not fazed by a small crop (although of course prefer a big bounty!).


So tonight's dinner made the most of the last peas (the summer cropping 'Kelvedon Wonder'), some wonderful broad beans and a handful of yellow french beans ('Mont d'Or). Lightly fried in some olive oil with a few garlic cloves (shop bought, sacrilege, I know), adding a little single cream, a pinch of seasalt and some shaved parmesan and I was ready to transform a bowl of pasta into something summery and delicious. All in under 20 minutes, my working day standard.

The same goes for flowers: rose 'Mme Alfred Carriere' is just flowering again but the second flush is rather slow going, so by adding a few sweet peas and dahlias I have a small bouquet to adorn the table if it is not snaffled by a visitor.


Are you fashionably frugal or beautifully bountiful?

2 comments:

  1. What a delicious supper ! My personal favourite with pasta is yellow courgettes with garlic, lots of olive oil and parsley .
    Just find me a yellow courgette , really difficult for some reason.
    Our little London garden is too small to grow big things like courgettes. Our tomatoes are taking up a lot of space, but sadly very little fruit forming as yet .
    Love your little bouquet .We have Mme Alfred Carriere also, but I find it prone to mildew .
    I usually rely on the old Iceberg in the front garden for picking, though the blooms are nowhere near as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Estrella, the toms were slow here too. It was just so darn cold for so much of the year. Powdery mildew can be a problem but can be kept at bay with watering. I find 'Iceberg' can suffer a bit from blackspot, so prefer Mme AC.

      Hope you get to pick lots of blooms!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...