Sunday 31 July 2011

Treasures close to your heart - Sac à Bolduc

Over at Aesthetic Alterations talk has been of treasures close to your heart. I pondered this for a while whilst tending to a neglected border. A few things came to mind.

DD's christening gown, a very simple affair but made with love (and skill!) by her paternal grandmother.

DS first coat, an incredibly soft and thick duffle coat from the softest denim I have ever encountered and lined with a bright check pattern. He probably outgrew it fifteen years ago but it is still in my wardrobe.

The shoebox of family photographs which I took to a framer some years ago. I really wanted a selction of them on permanent display in the house and he kindly framed a good dozen for me. Now DD can see the grandad she never knew, uncles which she hardly sees as we live in another country, and a way of life that no longer exists, at least in our part of the world.



Last but not least, a bag I made, the "Sac à Bolduc" from the title.
For a long time, I have been admiring the design of the Marwari bag. I prefer my bags leather lined if possible and closed on top. I also baulked at the price point for an essentially fabric lined bag. But I needed a simple small messenger-style bag for errands.
Having been collecting Hermes silk scarves (on and off) for many years I have accumulated a fair amount of the ribbon Hermes uses to fasten their boxes, the Bolduc.
When DH was recovering from an operation last year I spent a few weeks at home. To while away the evenings, the bolduc and the sewing machine came out and I made myself a Marwari/Bottega Veneta inspired bag. Never did I realise just how much ribbon would be needed. Fellow scarfies from around the globe came to my rescue and sent me more. Their sheer generosity and support for my design and craft project were so helpful for me at the time.
The result whilst not perfect is perfectly wearable with a "busy" side  and a "quite side" made from the reverse of the bolduc.





4 comments:

  1. This sac is too much fun! It definitely has a similar vibe to the tribal bags, and I bet it's a fantastic weight. Do you use it often these days? It seems very sturdy.


    Thank you for sharing some of your favorite treasures. I love hearing about and seeing each one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aesthetic Alterations, yes I use the Sac Bolduc a lot. Ad you suspected, it is very lightweight but sturdy. It is perfect for running errands, taking daughter to the park, even going to the market. As it was cheap to make from a materials point of view, I don't mind being hard on it.

    Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a lady of many talents, the creativity and craftmanship you brought to this wonderful project are fantastic. It's a beautiful unique thing and looks really hip .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Estrella, it was a true labour of love. I completely underestimated just how much time it would take. It has given me a new respect for handmade articles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...