Wednesday 20 July 2011

Border Update

The rectory has a small stretch of northfacing border next to a much used garden path that is looking very tired. A couple of big laurels give a green backdrop throughout the year but the front has only masses of Tellima Grandiflora to offer. They look pretty when in flower but for 11 months of the year they do nothing for me.


photo credit: findmeplants.co.uk


I have made a preparing the border today for autumn planting. The soil is not too hard despite not having been cultivated in many years, slightly stony perhaps. I could lift out most of the Tellimas with just a border fork, leaving a few behind for old times' sake. I had previously started to deadhead them and needed to finish this job off. Work had to stop unexpectedly as I inadvertently disturbed a bee colony which must have taken up residence in the mulch I applied last year. I will stick with the half finished job for now and hope the bees will have moved on by planting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...