Thursday 28 July 2011

High summer favourites

I got a chance to walk past the front of the local primary school today and noticed how the purple and yellow bed is looking up.

The bed is behind a wall, so I was looking for tall plants that can be seen by parents and children alike.

The verbena bonariensis, tall sunflowers and rudbeckias are fitting the bill just fine. School has just broken up for the summer but these beauties should still strut their stuff when school opens again in September.



Another bed has a mixture of rudbeckias. Two years ago I discovered a new cultivar, Rudbeckia x hirta 'Cherry Brandy'.

It was supposed to be an annual and after a failed germination attempt I bit the bullet and bought plug plants. They gave a great show throughout summer and autumn and whenever I worked in the school garden, a passer by would invariably enquire about them.

When it came to tidying the bed, some of the plants looked in good condition, so they got away with a haircut. So glad I left them in because they now form good sized clumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...