Wednesday 27 July 2011

Late July bounty

July brought lots of loot in the rectory garden and today was no exception. I harvested the first potatoes, first apples and as the herbs badly needed a trim bundles of herbs for the kitchen.

The potatoes are volunteers from last year and they were driving me mad when the foliage appeared this Spring. Who can hold a grudge though when you lift these unexpected treasures (either Lady Balfour or Cara)? There are lots more but I will lift them five pounds or so at a time. From plot to plate in hours I hope.


Due to the unexpectedly warm April this year, apple harvest has begun in earnest and the rectory's eating apples are ready to be picked. I'm not sure which variety this is, I suspect it may be Discovery. Anyway, the fruits are plump, juicy, without blemish and oh so tasty. Good job I was asked to take a bucket home.


One of the more enjoyable jobs today was to shear the herbs which are overspilling their pots. Most herbs have done very well with the exception of basil which took several attempts to sow and is still rather ... measly.

Chives, tarragon, rosemary, thymes and oregano are all doing phantastic and are tied up in little bundles ready for the rectory kitchen.



I have started to shear the lavender as it was barring the entrance to the greenhouse and I have potted up some young strawberry plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...