Thursday 14 June 2012

June is the month of ....

Roses!

Rosa 'Queen of Sweden'

This has been a long absence from the blog universe, family visits for me mean time for family and relaxation and abstaining from computers. Once I was back there was my garden and about a dozen others to fret over and enjoy in equal measure. I think it will take me about a fortnight to check on them all. 

Luckily my garden is looking lush and green, a combination of having a friend popping round to water and the more likely copious amounts of rainfall we had whilst I was away. So much so that the hosepipe ban has been lifted!

Back to the roses though. With the cold and wet weather over the last four weeks I was bracing myself for blackspot and rust but most of the varieties I have planted at home and elsewhere seem to be coping fine.

Rosa 'Queen of Sweden'

I checked on Mrs U-turn's garden today, clearing away the tulip foliage, tying in climbing roses and tucking in flapping bits of clematis. The small bouquet of 'Queen of Sweden' pictured above is from her garden.

Rosa 'Molineux'

If I am asked for a recommendation for a yellow shrub rose, it is usually for 'Molineux' if a small rose is needed. If more space is available, I tend to opt for 'Graham Thomas'.

Rosa 'Benjamin Britten'
Small in size but great on Sauterne scent, 'Benjamin Britten' is a delight if you can live with the rather prickly stems.

Clematis 'Bee's Jubilee' and Viola 'Heartsease'

Unpromisingly in a northfacing location, this planter is right against the housewall. I can take no credit for its success as I have neglected it quite badly. A feed in spring, rain and neglect are all that has happened to its inhabitants.


Maybe 'Bee's Jubilee' is a bit flamboyant but at the time Mrs U-turn needed a replacement for a climber in this difficult spot as the original choice of clematis needed more sun. It certainly proves to be a better choice, looking healthy and unblemished.


I am a big fan of Viola 'Heartsease', also known as Viola tricolor or Love-in-Idleness. This viola thrives in sun or shade and I tend to grow it is a shortlived perennial. It is as happy in a border as it is in a planter. It does self-seed but not to nuisance levels. I am not aware of any diseases and pests that pose a regular problem. The flowers are edible and I add them to salads and desserts.


The round border has filled out very nicely and is just showing the first signs of colour. Achillea 'Coronation Gold' would need staking in a border but in the very relaxed round bed I am happy for it to flop and hide the uneven edges of the bed. The bits of green in the front are not weeds but seedlings of Cephalaria gigantea. I am quite keen to have some more of this perennial and am hoping the "harvest" enough seedlings from Mrs U-turn's plot to grow on and finally plant them at the church garden.


Giant alliums, no idea what variety as the bag label was clearly wrong.


Beautiful honeysuckle, already established in the garden before I took it on.





2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, I hope you had a wonderful time with family. I love the look, colors and fragrance of roses but not the maintenance dealing with disease and insect issues. Here across the pond "Knock Out" shrub roses have become very popular. They are generally care free and repeat bloomers, although colors are limited. I also use Rugosa rose which has the same qualities and the hips are edible. Are you familiar with these varieties?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, a good time was had by all, so much so that we are going back in a few months.

    I have not heard of "Knock Out" roses: is this a fancy marketing term? Otherwise the may well be the US equivalent of Modern English roses in terms of care and repeat blooming. Many of these though come in virtually all colours but not all are superbly scented.

    I use the Rugosas, mainly as hedging or where I want a slightly "wilder look". Never near a seating area as they are so thorny. And yes, the hips are beautiful. Re edible hips, I brought rosehip jam back with me which I use for homemade doughnuts, a rare treat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...