Wednesday 20 June 2012

At home - the cool border in early summer

The cool blue border is filling out nicely, so much so that the iris will need to be divided shortly.



This border is only about 6sqm big; it is my experimental plot which means it gets replanted every few years with a completely different set of plants. Currently in its third year it is due a replant but I like it so much that I will just revamp it a little bit and give it another year.



Strictly speaking it should offer year round interest and whilst it is never boring to me I feel it looks its best during June. I think I am only using about a dozen different types of plants but I could easily base a much larger border on its design and selection. 



It is a crying shame that two gardens I am working on currently are strictly shrubby in planting. Although I have some borders to plant up in other gardens, this design would not work for the clients as it is a bit to involved for their needs (think cutting back at different times of the year, divisions and staking).


Although mainly planted up in shades of blue and purple, there are a few flashes of pale yellow and white during the course of the gardening year, like these irises.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...