Thursday 5 July 2012

Rain

Rain does not only stop play at Wimbledon, it also stops work or at least limits what can be done. It also limits photographs.

The rectory had a short visit only yesterday and even then I had to work in light rain and seek shelter during some short & heavy downpours.

The lawn could not be worked on although it does need a trim and the edges are awful. I also had to lift the first of the garlic plants as the leaves had gone yellow and the lack of photosynthesis means the bulbs won't fatten up any more. The bulbs are a pitiful size, so disappointed.

I have planted out some French bean plants, surrounded by the ubiquitous slug pellets, sigh.


The first dahlia to bloom is 'Arabian Night', pictured here complete with rain drops.


Rose 'Graham Thomas' is normally a stunner but the wet does not agree with her.

Some plants that enjoy dry and warm weather have fared surprisingly well, though. Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica is lovely wherever I have planted it. Even in semi shade it looks fresh and crisp. And the mollusc leave it well alone. Success.

 

2 comments:

  1. Drole! We have these three plants in our garden .
    I adore border dahlias , and the dark red anemone flowered Arabian nights is my favourite , great for for the house too .
    The common name for the Salvia Turkestana is 'Hot Housemaids ' ...my DK can't get his gallic brain round that and simply calls it smelly armpit plant !!
    At any rate, it's a stunning thing , just don't pick it for the house ... Actually my newest sage 'Hot Lips' shares that unfortunate quality .
    Perhaps the worst offender is Cobea Scandens , which I grew for the picking the beautiful blooms . But they also give off a most unpleasant odour when in the house .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What wonderful coincidence about these three so very different plants. And yes, many salvias are a bit on the whiffy side, hence best not planted close to a seating area and I also could not use these as cut flowers. I also will not have any curry plant in my house (nor in the garden). Alliums are also rules out as cut flowers for me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...