Wednesday 23 November 2011

The rectory in November

No pictures again as the weather continues to be damp and cool.

The battle with leaves at the rectory is nearly won! The leaf composting bin that was constructed in early autumn is nearly too small and it measures 1.25m square. All the leaves that I am dumping have gone through a shredder with a compression ratio of 15:1, so you get an idea just how much foliage is being shed in the rectory garden.

I have cleared out the greenhouse and given it a bit of a clean inside and outside. As there was moss growing between the glass panes and the frame, I had to take out glass panels from the roof to get the moss removed. It is not exactly sparkly but a lot better.

This winter I will try to overwinter the marguerites (grown from seed in the Spring) as they are fine bushes indeed. I have lifted them, cut them back and potted up in fresh compost. They are supposed to overwinter in an unheated greenhouse, so I am hoping for the best.

There has been a good supply of blackberries this year but the brambles have taken over parts of the garden, so I have been ruthless with cutting them back and feeding the canes through the chipper. One heaped wheelbarrow equates to two buckets of shredded green waste. A very satisfying job and my new thinsulate thornproof gloves came up trumps, only two thorns got me.

We had the first night frost last night but the dahlias are still standing although I am willing them to blacken. They are really past their best and I am keen to lift and store them.

As the gardening year draws to an end, I always feel a bit sad and I find myself with time on my hands. Luckily I have a little trip to the city of lights coming up next week, perfect for some rest and catching up with family. I may pack my secateurs as well as a shopping list.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...